Wrapped in their skins with butter and brown sugar, bananas can be placed over dying coals to be ready for dessert when you are.
10 large firm bananas
1/4 pound unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup crème fraîche
2 tablespoons dark rum
1. With a sharp knife, slit the peel open on each banana. Carefully remove peel, reserving it.
2. Roll the bananas in the melted butter and then in the brown sugar. Return each banana to its peel.
3. Using lengths of kitchen string that have been soaked in water, tie each banana. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, blend the crème fraîche with the rum. Set aside.
5. Grill the bananas over low coals, turning frequently, for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
6. Remove the strings and peels from the bananas and serve them on individual dessert plates with some of the crème fraîche on the side.